BBL

BBL

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Mint

Budgeting and keeping track of expenditures is hard. I've tried the notebook method and still do to some degree, I've tried using an excel spreadsheet, but most recently I have been using a free online computer program called Mint. Online things makes me nervous sometimes but after reading about it and what a few other bloggers had to say about their experience I decided to try it. Some people find it complex... but I actually like it. The following features are the reasons I like it and will probably continue to use it.

*These picture are small but clicking on them makes them bigger....*
  • It shows all the transactions that have occurred. Transactions show up just like they would on your online bank account.
  • It allows you to create a budget. I want to see where my money is going and if I am under or over budget for that month.
  • It shows trends in spending through a pie graph. You can view trends for the current month, previous month or for the year. And clicking on the graph allows you to see the break down of the different categories  and allows you to trace it all the way down the the expenditure that comprise that given category. The trends feature is something I really like.
  • Goals. It also allows you to set financial goals which its nice but not really a feature that I use. 
  • Net Worth. It gives a view of your net worth is well, which can be useful.
  • My one dislike so far its that for certain  reoccurring transactions every month I have to continue to put certain expense in the categories I would like for them to be in. The program doesn't remember my designation.

All in all I think the program is pretty cool and would definitely recommend it. I think its fairly simple but like anything it requires a little work. I'm definitely curious about seeing a fairly accurate picture of my total expenses at year end. That should be interesting.......

Live. Love. Smile. Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. mint.com does recognize your designations. Under the transactions tab, select the one that you will like it to remember then click on edit details when it is highlighted. Change the category to what ever you want it to be and then a option box will appear that says "rule". You can manage your rule to have mint.com always recognize your reoccurring transaction in the designated expense category.

    I love Mint.com so I just figured I would share that with you.

    ReplyDelete