BBL

BBL

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Jesus and My Uncle Came Thru For Me

For the last couple of years (*blank stare* yes... years) I have wanted to add sweet potatoes to the list of things I can cook. And each time I tried it was unsuccessful yet edible but not quite what I wanted. So last week a friend invited me to his birthday dinner and I asked if there was anything he wanted me to bring. He asked could I cook and I told him I could and what did would he like, so he asked could I make meatballs... and my response was "ummmm no, is there anything else". He then asked could I make some sweet potatoes.... frankly I probably should have said "not really" but I didn't want to tell him no twice so he could be like "well... what the heck can this girl cook?!" So I said "yea sure I can make that, no problem" lol smh.

All week the fact I had to make sweet potatoes for Sabbath was lurking randomly around my mind and the fact I wasn't ready. Friday morning on the way to the store my mom asked what I was going for and when I told her, she was like oh your Uncle makes a good one. So she called my uncle for the recipe. And he ended up saving my "cooking life" because I was truly about to wing it and BS my with through and pray for the best! 

The recipe was pretty basic:
  • Sweet Potatoes
  • Brown Sugar
  • Margarine
  • Vanilla 
  • Coconut
  • Nuts

 
All my basic Ingredients
 All though I would have preferred fresh cooked sweet potatoes, I just bought some cans I didn't have time (didn't feel like) cooking fresh sweet potatoes
The potatoes need to be mashed and add the sugar, vanilla, and margarine.But this is were things started to go awry for me. No where in my moms notes did it say the margarine had to be melted. So I ended up with smashed sweet pototoes with chucks of butter. FAILURE! I had to heat the potatoes on the stove so it could melt.
Worked out my lil problem...
Chopped nuts for the topping
  Finished product. It looks mad weird in this picture.

Now I don't like taking dished to dinners when its my first time making something. But sometimes you just gotta roll with it smh. And let me tell you I prayed over this dish... While I was cooking it, when I pulled into the parking lot and before I got out the car, and I sent up one last prayer before I walked in the house for Jesus to bless it. And I think He did... people seemed to like it...*shrugs*

I think next time I will experiment with it since I have a basis to start with.

Live. Love. Smile. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment